Digital Media Librarian
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. To email this position to a friend, click on the Email to a Friend link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
Please see Special Instructions for more details.A review of the applications and resumes will begin on May 1, 2017.
|Title||Digital Media Librarian|
|Regular or Temporary||Regular|
|Hours Per Week||40|
|Weeks Per Year||
|Open Until Filled||Yes|
|Full or Part Time||Full Time|
The Trinity Library, Hartford Connecticut, maintains growing repositories of digital surrogates from its collection. Reporting to the Image Collections Librarian, the Digital Media Librarian will help the library to develop a comprehensive program to digitize and manage assets. The incumbent will oversee digital capture workflow for all library digitization projects, including metadata creation, and will hire, train and direct student assistants who will do the majority of digitization for projects, faculty requests and reserves. The librarian will work closely with the newly created position of a Digital Scholarship Coordinator in identifying new digital services for the support of faculty and the curricular needs of Trinity College.
Duties and Responsibilities
1) Provide support to faculty and students who wish to digitize and/or use assets for publication or coursework.
2) Collaborates with staff on establishment of digital project specifications and workflows to include appropriate digital capture hardware, handling requirements, metadata schema, filenames and accession IDs, file types, master file storage/directories, location and storage of physical materials.
3) Oversees digitization of library and Watkinson-held archival materials and publications for addition to Trinity’s online repositories.
4) Trains student staff on use of digital capture hardware and software, oversees handling of fragile and rare materials, and manages project workflows. Verifies quality of digital files, metadata, and accuracy of filenames. Corrects as needed or oversees student staff correction.
5) Performs image manipulation and embedded metadata functions with software such as Photoshop.
6) Communicates with patrons and staff during the workflow process.
7) Participates in efforts to make digital collections more easily discoverable, especially in the library’s new search interface Primo and through other web interfaces.
8) Performs operations to prepare digitized print materials for upload to Trinity’s Digital Repository: Imports page scans into Adobe Acrobat X Pro, runs OCR software, reviews quality of scans,
• MLS, MIS or equivalent degree, or combination of college coursework and job experience.
|Special Instructions to Applicants||
A review of the applications and resumes will begin on May 1, 2017.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter